The holiday in Cilento may not only be linked to the sea and activities related thereto, there are many places to discover, many goals you don't expect to enrich your stay we have compiled a list of places that we will certainly in the minds and hearts …
The name comes from the numerous limestone caves, where it is still possible to find artifacts archaeologists dating back to the Paleolithic era. The territory is one of the most important places in Italy for the study of prehistoric culture along the coast; There are even remnants of Hippo predated during the hunt.
The Citadel of Camerota grew around a fortified castle 535-553 years, when pre-existing raged the Gothic-Byzantine war this fortress in the 909 was the second stronghold of Cilento, along with the castle of Agropoli. We were accessed through three doors: door of Suso (unique still visible), door of St Mary and St Nicholas gate, which were open at set times with silver keys.
In July 1552 the town and the Castle were devastated and plundered by the Turks. In the same year, however, the Marquis Don Placido de Sangro had it rebuilt the Castle and the Tower Laiella maritime raids were frequent: in fact in the Tyrrhenian coast, so the Regia Corte decided to fortify all the coasts of the Kingdom with towers visible from each other. Construction began in 1563 and was completed in 1601. Almost simultaneously with the construction of the towers, was founded in Camerota the Capuchin monastery. In 1647 the city, riding the revolt of Masaniello, rose against their Lord and in 1828 he joined the Cilento drowned out by the Bourbons.
Before, during and after the two world wars in Camerota developed a strong migratory movement towards the countries of Latin America.
In the country there are to visit several churches including the Church of Santa Maria in piazza, the newer, inside which are frescoes depicting the life of Jesus, painted by the artist Rosalbo Banda and many statues.
Other sites of interest are: the 15th-century Church of St. Nicholas of Bari to which it is possible to admire a Neapolitan Nativity scene ' 700, a font of volcanic stone from Vesuvius, a wooden swivel nut and a viennese art, the Church of Saint Daniel of the Greek Rite until 700 where we find an organ dating from 1847, the chapel of San Gennaro with its precious baroque stucco the sanctuary of San Antonio, the chapel of San Biagio, in the District of San Vito, Suso below the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele III, the Teatro Kamaraton located under the Castle and finally the ancient water troughs have been converted into fountains.
Within the ancient walls of Camerota is also the medieval castle for which there has never been an essay of archaeological excavations for the historical study of the site. It is assumed to have been built in the middle ages. The main male looks of the Norman period (late 11TH-early 12TH century). Together with the italo-Albanian Church of San Daniele, formed the original axis of the oldest district of the country. Today there remain only the walls and towers. There was also a chapel. During the looting was set on fire, but was rebuilt as a stately home.
During the summer months in the village Camerota takes place the event "AGATAfestival" event dedicated to art, gastronomy and local crafts. During the days of the exhibition artists and craftsmen transferring their art studios and shops in the old town, these are accompanied by tastings of local products, music and shows of various kinds to listen outdoors in plazas and squares.
Possible visits to artisan pottery spread around the village, where you can observe the traditional craftsmanship of earthenware high. The so-called pignatari (Turners) using the lathe, rasula and a thin iron wire, form the conze which, put in the Sun for a first induritura, proceed to imbitinatura and cooking in clay kilns which takes about 9 hours. In addition, Camerota has a centuries-old woodwork and radica, wickerwork and manufacturing of ropes used for the cultivation of mussels made by weaving the "spartéa".
Distance: 6 km, 10 minutes.
Lovely resort situated at the foot of the homonymous mountain known for its natural beauty already from Virgilio.
The Capo Palinuro can boast ancient human settlements whose graves are dated around the sixth century. BC and the finds indicate the presence of a colony.
Its history is linked to the history of the city of Molpa, of which there are two ruins: the Castle and the parish church of San Giuliano, which dates back to 1100.
The town is known for the beauty of its coastline, rich in towers and caves, the clearness of the sea, and to the lighthouse, (home of the weather station), located above the sea and not far from the Tower of the Fort this last visit but in a State of disrepair but no less charming; in fact, from its top you can enjoy a splendid view.
To visit the baronial Rinaldi. In 1814 there lived the King of Naples Joachim Murat (Napoleon's brother-in-law) and can not miss a visit to the Antiquarium, which displays artifacts of a necropolis from the 6th century. BC
Finally, we recommend a visit to the natural arch, a huge Arch of rock that juts out into the sea, and the small Bay at his back.
From the port there are regular guided tours by boat to the Blue Grotto and the coast.
Distance: 13 Km, 15 minutes.
- SAN SEVERINO
The old town of San Severino is a deserted medieval village located above the Valley of the river Majdi, who digs a narrow gorge called Devil's throat (also called the Tragara). The town dates back to the X-XI century and retains traces of different historical periods through the ruins of a castle and a church. Historical sources indicate the probable origin of the urban settlement in the 7th century by Bulgarian emigrants mercenaries in the Longobard Principality of Salerno. These soldiers were used for the control of the Mingardo, main artery connecting the Gulf of Policastro, precisely what is dug out to this Gorge, ensuring the link with the port of Palinuro. To this period dates the construction of a lookout tower, whose remains are visible from above and the first houses for the soldiers.
Under the Normans (1077 – 1189) and afterwards with the Swabians (1189-1266) were built other fortifications, especially from Frederick II, who ordered the construction of the walls and was built also the large church on the cliff overlooking the Gorge.
With the advent of the Aragonese (1444) the fortified village for years of the powerful Sanseverino family, having failed to fulfil its strategic importance, even for the development of firearms, fell into decadence and the castle was abandoned.
With the construction of the railway line in 1888 Pisciotta-Castrocucco the population gradually began to move to the Valley, so within about fifty years, the town was almost completely abandoned, although until 1977 the Church town remained the country Church and some houses of the old village still inhabited.
Now the old village is visited by a considerable flow of tourists coming mostly from holidaymakers on vacation and the protection of the village is entrusted to certain associations with the collaboration of the municipality of Centola.
Among the buildings to visit include the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli with pentagonal apse and nave, the "Baronial" on three levels and the remains of the ancient defensive network of the site.
Today the town hosts the nascent emigrant House Museum.
Distance: 15 km, 20 minutes.
Its coastline is dotted with coves, reefs and shoals opposite the island of Santo Janni. Worthy of attention are the backdrops and the more than 50 caves and earthlings, some of which have yielded fossils and prehistoric, stalactites and stalagmites. Nestled in the Tyrrhenian Sea has numerous beaches and coastal features.
In addition, the Inland mountains, arriving with their cliffs directly on the sea, create a strong visual contrast of the sea and mountains, which creates picturesque views and panoramas.
On the top of monte San Biagio is a statue of the Redeemer of Maratea, opera carved from Carrara marble by Bruno Innocenti, depicting Christ the Redeemer after the resurrection, completed in 1965 22.10 m high and visible from around the Gulf of Policastro. Mail with an effect of great contrast with the ruins of ancient Maratea Castle, accessed via a stone stairway.
For its many churches, chapels and monasteries, Maratea is also called the city of 44 churches.
Distance: 56 Km, 1 hour and 20 minutes.
CILENTO, LAND of SAINTS and of BRIGANDS: the phenomenon of banditry
The oppression and exploitation suffered by the disadvantaged classes over the centuries contributed to the birth prior to the outbreak of banditry and unfortunate, then, that heroic uprisings that erupted repeatedly from 1799 until 1848.
The robber, generally, was a violent person but religious, came from poor family usually farmers or shepherds, had served in the military in the Bourbon troops, easily had suffered some abuse by the new rulers that led him to hate them and asked in bands led by "commanders" with great charisma as Carmine Crocco, Ninco Nanco and Giuseppe "Summa, Gaetano Tranchella, Gaetano, Giuseppe Tardio and band Schiavone.
Between Basilicata, Campania and Calabria, there were more than 350 bands they belonged to more than 9000 brigands, a real army. Each band had given his area of competence and sometimes the various bands joined together to perform tasks deemed risky. It financed with robberies, kidnappings and extortion against wealthy people apart, with the ' aid ' sent by the Bourbons and the Papal States. The law was introduced in 1863 Pica made to solve the "Southern question". With this law was proclaimed a State of siege, made round-ups of draft Dodgers, suspicions, prejudiced, the streets were forbidden to form groups of more than three people, and the population that provided aid to highwaymen was punished by being shot without trial. The law Pica in just over two years bent on robbery and with it were destroyed entire villages of ordinary people.
The village of Forest stands on the slopes of Mount Bulgheria and overlooks the Gulf of Policastro, the village was founded despite the arrival of some Italian-Greek monks from Greece and Macedonia due to persecutions and wars. These founded the monastery of St. Nicholas (now simple parish church). For about 500 years Woods lived with autonomous jurisdiction. Thanks to the presence of the monks, became a great cultural and spiritual Center, whose inhabitants were dedicated mainly to agriculture and pastoralism. Private properties were separated by natural elements such as trails, rivers and small hills. The village was bordered by walls that allowed access through some real doors, like "Porta della terra", is still present within the country. In 1800 in the wake of the French Revolution the South opposed by the family of Bourbon, on 27 June 1828 heaved into a major revolt led by Canon Antonio Maria De Luca, but the Cilento arrived at the gates of San Biase were unfortunately a large Bourbon army commanded by General Francesco Saverio Del Carretto who stifled patriotic revolt. The municipality of Forest was burned three times following a Royal Decree and was completely destroyed on 7 July 1828. The town was sprinkled with salt to make sterile soil so that it could no longer be reborn nothing on that territory. Followed arrests, convictions, executions. At the entrance to the village the Spanish painter José Ortega, wanted to remember this important revolution representing it on a painted majolicas. On the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy was officially inaugurated a museum dedicated to José Ortega, pupil and friend of Pablo Picasso, exiled from Franco's Spain that after being in Matera settled in the forest for many years.
In this country are to visit the Church of San Rocco in the square whose earliest memories appear since the 18th century. The Church of Saint Nicholas of Bari a time italo-Greek Monastery, where you can see a baptistery of 1545 in Flint and a font of 1650.
The square where is situated the silhouette Ortega of Mount Bulgheria carved from the same Ortega in a large stone, from here you can admire a beautiful view of the Gulf of Policastro and the coast of Lucania and Calabria.
The majolica of Jose Ortega, a mural composed of 196 majolica located at the beginning of the village painted in 1980 to commemorate the massacre of Cilento.
The fountain of the "Savuco" (elder), located in front of the mural above; a few steps down is reached and is known for the freshness of its water from the Monte Bulgheria.
The home of old 19th century palace, transformed in Ortega, Museum "Casa Ortega" rich in paintings and decorations of various kinds.
The chapel of our Lady of Mount Carmel, dated 1648 and recently restored and belonged to the family of Ursaia.
Distance: km24 20.5 minutes.
CULTURAL, ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND GASTRONOMIC:
- PADULA AND TEGGIANO
Padula and the eponymous Charterhouse
In Civita several findings do estimate the first human settlements around the 12th century b.c., during this period date the Foundation of the city of Cosilinum ancient Padula. In the 6th century BC. you began to populate the area where the current P: in località Valle Pupina were found beautiful tombs bronze and ceramics pottery mould formed from Greek, currently exhibited in the Archaeological Museum at the Certosa di Padula.
The first urban transformation occurred by Tommaso Sanseverino, commissioned in 1296 by Charles II of Anjou to provide for the defense of the city, these girded the entire village with an impressive city walls which started from the battlements of the castle to close on the cliff, making the country impenetrable. The Sanseverino family favored the establishment of monastic orders in the territory of Padula: Besides the repopulation of the monastery of St Nicholas at Torone and the founding of the Carthusian monastery of
In 1806 the Carthusian House was abandoned by the monks, who had to obey a Royal Decree and the French army made looting of goods and works of art.
In the early 20th century, there was the beginning of a flood of migrants to the Americas that halved the local population. Between citizens living abroad and Giuseppe Padula are originally from "Joe" Petrosino investigator who distinguished himself in New York, and Francesco "Frank" V physical, nominated for the Nobel Prize and is part of the Team that contributed to the creation of the atomic bomb.
Between 1915 and 1921 the Charterhouse, now abandoned for nearly a century, became a concentration camp for deserters and prisoners and a labor camp English between 1943 and 1945.
As already mentioned, was founded in 1306 by Tommaso Sanseverino on the site of an earlier monastery. Its structure recalls the image of the grill on which the Saint was burnt alive. The history of the building covers a period of about 450 years.
The oldest plant remain in Certosa il portone (1374) and the vaults of the Church. The main part of the Charterhouse is in Baroque style and occupies an area of 51,500 m ² in which are built over 320 rooms. The monastery has the largest cloister in the world (approximately 12,000 m ²) surrounded by 84 columns.
The Carthusian monastery you can admire the great white marble spiral staircase that leads to the large library which is covered with ceramic tiles from Vietri sul Mare, the chapel decorated with precious marbles, the big kitchen where, legend has it, was prepared an omelette of 1,000 eggs for Charles V, large cellars with enormous barrels neighbouring fields, and laundries.
Today the monastery also houses the Archaeological Museum of Western Lucania, which brings together a collection of artefacts from the excavations of the necropolis of Sala Consilina and Padula. This museum covers a period ranging from prehistoric to Hellenistic times.
Other places of interest in Padula are the Church of San Clemente, the archaeological site of Cosilinum, the Hermitage of Saint Michael to Grottelle and Marcellianus baptistery (4th century), also called "San Giovanni in sources" ancient battistero paleocristiano founded by Pope Marcellus I on a pre-existing pagan temple. There are also walls, with gates and towers, shrine of the fourteenth century, the House-Museum of Joe Petrosino Museum last name: opened in April 2012, the Museum is a facility dedicated to fictional characters, with the ability to access web and print resources to research native naming with the assistance of the Museum staff.
The Foundation of the country has conflicting theses ascribing the Foundation of the country or the city of Tegea, Greek Settlers or to the Nations osco-sabellian driven from their lands as a result of the expansion of the Etruscan civilization or, finally, thanks to the Lucani in the early 4th century BC.
Considerable importance was assigned to Teggiano italic period he held a major role both within the twelve town Lucanian Federated that during the social wars from 91 to 88 BC. opposite Rome and Italy that saw the allies of the Roman people municipia before his time. A testimony of those times are the numerous historical exhibits, either religious architecture of civil architecture, currently scattered everywhere along the streets of old town.
From the fifth century onwards assumed the name Shamimsaid, then Give the Vallo, from which it took its name.
In this country there are to see the castle of the Sanseverino princes (11th century-12th century) currently Castle Macchiaroli, the door of the medieval wall located to the South of the town, the towers of the medieval walls, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore (XIII century), the Church and convent of San Francesco (14th century), the Museo diocesano di Teggiano, herbs Museum and the Museum of customs and traditions.
Distance: 90 km, 1 hour and 40 minutes.
ELEA Velia, called in Roman times, is an ancient polis of ancient Greece. The archaeological area is currently located in contrada Piana di Velia in the town of Ascea. The excavations, near to the railway can be visited every day.
ELEA was founded in the second half of the 6th century BC, from Focei exiles fleeing from Ionia (on the coast of present-day Turkey) to escape the Persian military pressure. The city was built on the top and sides of a promontory bought from Focei to Enotri, located between Punta Licosa and Palinuro. The geographical position, at the Centre of intense trade between Greece and Etruria, transformed the town into one of the richest polis of ancient Greece. It was initially called Hyele, named after the source placed behind the headland.
Around the 5th century BC, the city was known for its flourishing business relationships and Government policy. Also assumed considerable importance to its cultural-Socratic philosophical school, known as the Eleatic school founded by Parmenides and carried forward by the student Zeno.
With Rome, instead, Elea regaled great relationships: provided ships for the Punic Wars (3rd-2nd century) and sent young priestesses to the cult to Demeter (Ceres) coming from aristocratic families. Eventually became a summer resort for Roman aristocrats and perhaps thanks to the presence of the school of medicine and philosophy.
In the second half of the century served as a naval base, first for Brutus (44 BC) and then to Octavian (38 BC). The prosperity of the city continued until the end of the first century AD. When you built numerous villas, small settlements, new public buildings and thermae, but the progressive silting of ports and the construction started in 132 BC, the Via Popilia which linked Rome with the South of the peninsula by cutting out Velia, led the city to a progressive isolation and impoverishment.
From 1669 no longer counted any inhabitant on site and traces of the city are lost in the swamps. Only in the nineteenth century, the archaeologist François Lenormant understood that the historical and cultural importance of the site lent itself to interesting studies and investigations still under way, but it should also be noted that unfortunately because of excavations begun in the last century, the town featuring the Middle Ages until the 17th century was almost completely destroyed.
Interesting also the Norman castle and the 18th century Church of Santa Maria in Porto Salvo which now houses the Antiquarium.
Distance: Km 42, about 46 minutes.
- PAESTUM CAPACCIO
With this route there is also the opportunity to visit several Estates and farms in the area.
The tenuta Vannulo livestock farm organically certified by the ICEA.
Here the cutting is done entirely by hand and the milk used comes exclusively from the farm, on request it is possible to assist at various stages of processing. The estate is home to the permanent Museum of rural life where you can observe everyday tools and equipment from various periods. The path ends with the taste of dairy products.
The dairy Barlotti offers guided tours and tastings buffalo milk. The farm Barlotti born at the beginning of 1900, is one of the oldest producers of Piana del Sele of Paestum, known especially for the Buffalo breeding.
The cooperative Rivabianca born from the initiative of a number of farmers in the Sele plain with a long tradition of Buffalo breeding, here the visit is primarily recommended for groups.
Guests can also visit to the winery Cuomo "the wines of the Knight" where you can taste the new vintages of their wines Fiano Aglianico.
A few kilometers from Paestum at Rutino, is the company Alfonso roll. With a production of around 60,000 bottles a year, the company covers about 7 hectares of vineyards all guyot, enrolled in the Cilento DOC Aglianico and Fiano and IGT Paestum and Campania.
The archaeological area of Paestum is one of the main archaeological parks in the world, with a Museum and recognized by UNESCO as a world heritage site. Here you can admire, among other things, three Greek temples among the best preserved.
In 273 BC. Roma took Paistom the Confederation of Lucania and settled a colony changing its name in Paestum. The relationship between Paestum and Rome were always very tight: the Paestum were socii navales of the Romans; allies that if need be they would provide ships and sailors.
In the area of the city, since its beginning, were distinct in the central part of public use areas with different functions: two sacred areas, Northern and southern, with in the Center the political space of the agora on whose southern part you will set the Roman Forum.
The Temple of Hera is the oldest of the three (ca. 540 BC), was one of the largest Doric Greek temples built of stone; the Temple of Athena (ca. 500 BC) is smaller, has a Doric frieze of type only the pediment and ionic columns inside the Pronaos (now in the Museum as the capitals are the oldest Ionic unearthed in Italy) and the Temple of Neptune that is considered the best example of Templar in Italy and Greece Doric architecture.
Paestum is currently surrounded by walls almost completely preserved, with a polygonal perimeter that extends for approximately 4.75 km.
Inside the ancient city is located the National Archaeological Museum of Paestum, one of the most important archaeological museums of Southern Italy, which brings together an important collection of artefacts found in the surrounding areas.
Numerous necropolis dot the area outside the walls. One of the biggest lies about one kilometer from the archaeological site and the necropolis of Gavdos, extended area for about 2000 m ² where 34 graves have been found.
About 9 km from the city of Paestum is the Heraion at the Sele, an ancient sanctuary dedicated to the goddess Hera, or Hera Argiva, protectress of navigation and fertility. The mythical Foundation of the site is attributed to Jason and the Argonauts-attached. Originally located at the mouth of the Sele River, today the shrine now stands at about 1.5 km from the old location, following the progress of the current coast line to the progressive deposition of sediments of the river.
This is a place with few archaeological elements visible, but of great interest to the importance of the finds unearthed in it: the mystery of the metopes archaic, until thousands of votive statuettes and pottery were found.
On the edge of the sanctuary is the Masseria Procedural narrative Museum tells the story of the place through films, 3D reconstructions and video installations, sound effects and information panels.
The place name, originally Calpatium (modern Capaccio Old sita near the sanctuary of Madonna del Granato), originates from the Latin Caput Aquae (water source, with reference to the Capo di Fiume) arose around the 9th century by the inhabitants of Paestum. The current Capaccio is first mentioned in the document of 1051. From the twelfth century until the Council of Trent became an Episcopal seat. Not far away, on the northern slopes of Mount Calpazio, are located the remains of Capaccio Old Town razed to the ground by the troops of Frederick II and abandoned in 1246 as a fief of the Sanseverino family, one of the families who participated in the conspiracy of the barons. It was a fief of the Sanseverino, Berengario, d'avalos d'Aragona, Grimaldi and Doria.
Worth visiting are the towers of Capaccio and the ruins of the Castle renovated in Angevin period and later used as a prison, la Torre di Paestum a military building of a truncated cone with a Battlement located close to the sea, whose interior is divided into two overlapping circles accessible via an external staircase. The Basilica Cathedral of Madonna del Granato sort in the first century and restored in 1708, the ancient Cathedral "early Christian Basilica (Church of the Annunciation) and the Franciscan convent of Carmelite Convent built by Capaccio in 1500.
Distance: 100 km, 1 hour 45 minutes.
- POMPEII AND VESUVIUS
The site of Pompeii declared in 1997 by UNESCO "World Heritage", in 2010 was the second Italian archaeological site for visitors.
This site was excavated the ancient Roman city of Pompeii, Herculaneum, Stabiae and Oplontis tragically buried together with the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 a.d. with a sudden rain of ash, glowing dust and lapilli that have crystallized the city and its tragedy, preserving them for ever. The archaeological excavations, in fact, have yielded the best preserved towns of the era and the remains of the ancient city playing one of the best testimonies of Roman life. The significant amount of artifacts recovered (in addition to simple everyday objects also frescoes, mosaics and statues) was useful to help understand the uses, customs, habits and the art of life of over two millennia ago.
The visit to the complex includes villas, homes, public buildings, recreational buildings, temples and cemeteries. One of the most remarkable of the excavations is the street of tombs.
At the behest of Bartolo Longo, a short distance from the ruins (1.7 km, 5 minutes), was built the shrine of our Lady of the Rosary of Pompeii, now Papal Basilica, full of votive offerings, which constitutes one of the most popular Italian destinations: every year on the occasion of Supplications to Mary of 8 March and the first Sunday of October there occurs a pilgrimage.
Are at least eight million annually tourists of Pompei: about four millions come for visit the excavations and over four to visit the sanctuary.
The Vesuvius National Park, established in 1995 includes and develops around the Vesuvius. It represents a typical example of a volcano to fence, consisting of an outer cone trunk, Monte Somma, (today off and with a crater wall largely demolished) within which lies a smaller Cone (Vesuvius, still active).
Another peculiarity of this park is represented by the significant presence of fauna and flora species if it relates to its reduced extension: there are 612 species belonging to the plant world and 227 species belonging to that animal.
In the Park you can hike along the many paths.
Distance: 212 km, 2 hours 52 minutes